Goal Setting – The Havard Study

To say 2020 has been an interesting year would be an understatement. We’re still in the middle of a global pandemic, we’ve seen global protests over social justice issues, and we’ve arguably never been so divided politically.

I’ve seen a lot of people celebrating the year 2020 coming to a close. They are gearing up for 2021 hoping that it’s going to be a better year. One of the best ways to ensure the New Year is a good one is to set some goals for yourself and make a plan to complete them.

I’m not talking about News Years Resolutions. According to Inc.com, 60% of us create New Year’s Resolutions but only about 8% actually achieve them. I’m talking about creating goals, writing them down, and making a plan to see them through.

To show you how powerful this exercise is I’m going to tell you about a study Harvard University did in 1979.

The Harvard Study

In 1979, interviewers asked the graduates of Harvard’s MBA program if they had goals and here is what they found:

  • 84% of graduates had no specific goals or plans. Apparently they were just happy to be out of school.
  • 13% of graduates had goals but had not written them down or created a plan to accomplish them.
  • 3% of graduates had specific goals, had written them down, and had a plan to see them through.

In 1989, the interviewers followed up with the class of ’79 and found these astonishing results:

  • The 13% were making on the average twice as much as the 84%.
  • And even more astonishing, the 3% were making on the average, 10 times more than the other 97% COMBINED!

That’s the power of writing your goals down and creating a plan to accomplish them!

If you need help setting goals stay tuned. I’ll write more on the goal setting process in the next few days. Or if you’d like help creating goals and a plan sign up for a FREE session with one of the coaches here at WinInYourMind.com!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.